Stephen Hawking was world famous for his immense contribution to the field of science, especially astrophysics. Stephen Hawking rubbed shoulders with who’s who in the intellectual world and was a rockstar for many. He appeared occassionaly in sitcoms, like BigBang, and had a biographical film called The Theory of Everything in 2014. THE life of world famous physicist Stephen Hawking had a lot more to it than just science — there was also love lost, anger and backstabbing.
Young Stephen Hawking with his wife Jane Hawking
While he achieved super success in his professional life, his personal life was rocked by controversies and some shocking accusations.
- His First Wife, Ms. Wilde felt that distance between them started growing after he started hogging limelight in 1985. Fans thronged to catch his one glimpse, even to the extent of being obsequious. He started expecting similar attention from his wife which she found pretty strange. She confessed in an interview to the radio times, “I rather felt that the family had been left behind. To me, Stephen was my husband and the father of my children; one does not say to one’s husband, ‘Oh, you’re so clever! I must worship the ground under your feet, or in this case, wheels’
” The marriage was over by 1990. It was unbelievable.
- After his marriage was over in 1990, he married his nurse and care taker Ms Mason in 1995, just one year after the divorce with Ms. Wilde. However, the life was far smooth from what someone would believe.
Stephen Hawking with his nurse and second wife Elaine Mason
Image Source: The Sun
- Hawking’s children, particularly Lucy accused, the stepmother of restricting access to their father.
- But the ultimate controversy came up when nurses accused Ms. Mason of physically abusing Hawking and reported the incident to the police. The police decided to call off the investigation after he denied the allegations.
- After 11 years of marriage, Ms Mason filed a petition for separation in 2006. Rumour mills started churning out that it was because renowned physicist was cheating on her.
However, all said and done – Stephen Hawking is a hero of our time and no matter what his personal life turned out to be, his immense contribution cannot be forgotten. He has written best sellers of our time, explained universe to us.
As said by one fan on his Facebook wall, “He cam e from the universe. He explained the universe. He left to be part of universe. But he would not be lost in the universe. For he would always be remembered!
RIP Sir Stephen Hawking.
The world will not be the same without you.
Cover Image Source